BAX x CDI
Arts & Social Justice Residency
BAX x CDI: CUNY Dance Initative x BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange
Starting in 2021-22, BAX and the CUNY Dance Initiative are partnering with Brooklyn College to support a two-year arts & social justice oriented creative development residency with opportunities for teaching & public showings.
The residency includes:
- 25 hours studio space at BAX in 2021 / 25+ hours studio space at Brooklyn College in 2022
- Mentorship from BAX Artist Advisors
- Free fiscal sponsorship via BAX throughout residency
- Residency honorarium of $1250 each year
- Teaching opportunities at Brooklyn College
- Public presentation component, as appropriate for the selected artist/project
2021/2022 BAX x CDI Artist in Residence:
Born deaf and raised hearing, Anna Gichan (she/her) is a dancer and emerging artist exploring the stark differences of sound realities between her hearing aids off and on. Her work started with lip drawings mimicking the experience of lip-reading, a video depicting sharply cut ocean sounds and now a performance incorporating principles of DeafSpace, which “address the five major touch points between deaf experiences and the built environment: space and proximity, sensory reach, mobility and proximity, light and color, and acoustics”. Focusing on an awareness of lights, color, reflections, and vibrations in spaces she will be giving people the chance to step into a world of reflections and vibrations felt from unseen moving bodies. We look forward to sharing Anna’s work in February in the BAX Theater!